Don't Label Me

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Chronicles of Rachel

Next guest to Berlin...  RACHEL!!!

This was her first time to Germany, so I had to make sure she received the deluxe tourist treatment and I did my best to show her all the most memorable locations in Berlin, Brandenburg.

As tradition, I met Rachel at the airport with beer in hand, because drinking in public is not poo-pooed in Berlin.  This made Rach veeeeeery happy, as there was a flight change so she actually arrived in Berlin about an hour later.

First area of exploration was my hood - Neukölln.  We went to the Neukölln Arcaden for a spectaular view of Berlin, then Zimt & Mehl for a delicious brunch and then walked to Treptower Park.







Next stop was the Ritter Sport Factory/Museum/Shop where we had custom chocolate bars made. Mine was dark chocolate with rosa pepper and chili!  Es war sehr lecker!!!  Delicious!







From here we made our way down Unter den Linden toward the Brandenburg Tor and the Reichstag.




September 15th we got up early and made our way to the Ravensbrück Concentration Camp memorial in Fürstenberg/Havel, about an hour outside of Berlin.  This was a women's camp with a few male prisoners and also some children.  This was not a death camp though, it was a work camp.




Remembering the homosexuals...  the pink triangle.






Huge storm coming our way.  Somehow was managed to escape it.




The prisoner's block.  Most rooms had an installation from a different country to remember those that suffered and died.






The next day was dedicated to Marlene Dietrich.  Anne join us this day and we went to the Friedhof III cemetery in Schöneberg where Marlene (and Helmut Newton) are laid to rest.  Then we walked to her flat, which was nothing to speak of so I have no photograph, so we made our way to the Deutsche Kinemathek Museum für Film und Fehesehen to pay homage to her beauty and grace. There was an extensive collection of her costumes on display.  I died and joined her in Himmel.









After this we had a loverly dinner at Cafe Einstein, at the recommendation of my Berliner friends (whom I met in Vancouver) Lars und Jörn.






The next day was very leisurely.  We got up late and went to the Art Nouveau era Stadtbad in Neukölln to have a swim.  We weren't aloud to take photos inside, but I took some of the light fixtures above the main entrance.





Not sure if this was our last day together, but I took Rach back into Mitte for some window shopping at the Hackescher Hofe, to the Radisson near the Berliner Dom to see the huge fishtank elevator and then to Barbie Deinhoff's for drinks for our last evening together.








Oh yeah...  and I have one last photo to add.  Anne and I have started to frequent a Mexican Restaurant in Kreuzberg called Santa Maria.  They have tacos and tequila shots for €1/ea every Tuesday, so we go there a lot.  Sort of becoming a staple.  I brought Rach here twice.  Here is total destruction after a meal of delectable little corn tortilla tacos, tequila and margaritas!




Thanks Rach...  it was a blast and a delight to show you around Berlin.  Thanks for all the treats and goodies.  You are a doll.  *smooch* Love and Misses!!!

Devi

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daevina - you take amazing photos!! Ravensbruck photos remeinded me of the sadness of Sashenhausen - I could easily cry. You and Sarah had a great time. You look like a Paris model in that lovely hat. I was a little jealous when I spied the strudel :). Love you Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Luv, I tried to send you a comment before but scwood up, so I'll try again. Your photos as usual are wonderful to see and your text with them is so appropriate and well said. Glad that you and Rachel had such a good time and with Anne also. The food you showed makes me hungry, except for the plates that were finished. Funny thing, last night we watched a documentary called "Surviving Hitler-A Love Story" that showed Ravensbruck Concentration Camp of the days it was occupied by womwn. Love ya, Dad

Anonymous said...

oops meant Rachel

Anonymous said...

Good to see what you are up to! Wonderful photos. I cansee that you are having the time of your life.

Rachella said...

nice!

and now i want to go to Santa Maria's. just great.