Don't Label Me

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Berlin in Winter

Well, so far the weather in Berlin for the months of November and December have been quite mild and loverly.  I am serious.  A little rain here and there, lots of sunshine and a slight drop into negative temperatures in the evenings.  Nothing to truly complain about really.

I have a lot of catching up to do here so this post will focus on a summary of November.

Mid-November saw the beginnings of Weihnachten Märkte (Christmas markets) preparations.  Something I have been looking forward to since before leaving Vancouver 8 months ago.  At these markets you will find plenty-o-tasty delights in both liquid and solid form.  Glühwein, Punsch mit Rum, Kartoffeln puffers (deep fried potatoe-y goodness), Lebkuchen (similar to gingerbread), candied apples and gebrennt Mandeln (burned candied almonds) to name a few.  Also you will find several stands selling Weihnachten ornaments and traditional curios to decorate your home.  They are open all day and into the night, which in my opinion is the best time to go.  Some have ferris wheels and rides, others and have ice skating rinks, some have both.  Hopefully I have captured some of the special spirit of these markets for you with my photography.  The one at the Kulturbrauerei is the first one I experienced.









Even the Mauerpark Markt was in the spirit of the holiday season.





It wasn't that sexy to be honest.




Reminded me of home.  The same kind of ornaments we hang on our Weihnachtenbaum.






The glorious sunny weather we were experiencing pulled me outdoor often this month.  One location I had been dying to go to was the Spreepark Plänterwald.  It's a rundown, abandoned amusement park along the Spree river.













My next loverly day outdoors was spent at Friedrichshain Volkspark and Flakturm.

Spanienkämpfer-Denkmal, 1968 at Volkspark Friedrichshain.





Märchenbrunnen, 1913 at Volkspark Friedrichshain.




Stairs up to the Flakturm (anti-aircraft tower) in Volkspark Friedrichshain.






The Memorial to Polish Soldiers and German Anti-Fascists. Dedicated in 1972.  The twin columns symbolize the joint struggle of Poles and Germans against fascism.





Having missed out on Canadian Thanksgiving here in Berlin, I was lucky enough to join Anne at a friend's apartment for an incredible American Thanksgiving feast!  Second time for pumpkin pie, as the first was for a friend's birthday.  Both were incredibly delicious...  but not my Momma's.

November and December somewhat blend into each other in terms of climate and escapades, so I will create yet another blog posting about Weihnachten in Berlin.

Love and misses,
Devi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blogs, as usual they are a joy to see--great photos. maybe one day you will make some money doing photography. very creative!

love Dad

Anonymous said...

Your photos are amazing. I can actually see the markets, the abandoned amusement park and the memorial to the Poles and the Germans. The photo of the white puff balls - reminded me of the puffball fights we had when camping in WhiteRock. Do you remember? Enjoyable blod - love Mom