Don't Label Me

Friday, December 23, 2011

Ich wünsche euch ein schönes Weihnachten!!!

How did that happen?

Yule has passed and the days are already getting longer.  Suddenly it's Christmas...  in 2 days.

Since the weather was still behaving for the most part, I got outside with my camera to the largest Jewish cemetery in Germany.

The Jüdischer Friedhof Weißensee Cemetery is a Jewish cemetery located in the neighborhood of Weißensee. It is the second largest Jewish cemetery in Europe. The cemetery contains approximately 115,000 graves and was dedicated in 1880. With the rise of Nazism the existence of the cemetery was at risk (many Jewish cemeteries in Europe were destroyed) but miraculously, the site survived relatively unscathed. Some 400 graves are estimated to have been destroyed by Allied bombing. (Wiki)

















When the weather turned to scheiße, I went indoors to the Preußische Spirituosen Manufaktur.






My favorite liquor...  rose flavoured.




Some of this distilling equipment was as old as 1900!!! This one was vacuum distillery.





I was blessed to have another visitor this month.  Christine, whom I went to see in A'dam last month.  Fate would have it, that we had the opportunity to see each other one more time in Europe whilst we are on our life adventures.  This was a great time of year for her to visit Berlin.  I took her to the historical sites of Berlin, and naturally, Weihnachten Märkte!!!

These were taken at the Rotes Rathaus market.










This is down Unter den Linden.








Christine's first night in town I took her to a 1920's themed music, film and performance art event.  Anne joined us as well.






On to a more serious and somber note,  I went back to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp for a second time, at Christine's request, and no objection of mine.  It was a very bleak day and that really set the mood and tone for our experience there.









Then there was the new found view of the Berlin Mauer (wall) "death strip" which I had not be aware of before.





Finally one more of the memorial for the book burnings by the Nazis in 1933.




To end this blog on an uplifting note, how about some more Weihnachten photos?






This is of a glass that was on my desk.  I liked how the light filtered through it creating this ripple shadow/reflection.




Alright...  I feel the pressure leaving my shoulders as I slowly catch up with blogging here...  I have one more to go before I am swamped again.  My next entry will feature my wonderful trip to Vienna with a few of my friends.  A loverly Christmas gift from my parents.  Thanks Momma and Dad'n!!!

Love and squishes,
Daevina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dee a lot of this blog was very sad - the Cemetary, Sachsenhausen brought back memories. The rocks! Beautiful 1920's outfits! Amazing photo of the glass! Markets remind me of a carnival, with rides. What a great time you are having - good! Love Mom